Some people are just bad luck.
When I say some people, I mean my mom.
My mom has an obsession unlike any other.
She covers ever square inch of surface area with candles.
Can you tell where this is going?
I was at my mom's house, just chit-chatting, when all of a sudden, the smoke alarm starts going off. We get up and start searching all over for the candle that is causing the problem. I wasn't too worried because this happens often at my mom's house, with her love of candles. But... the next thing I hear: "McKenzie, bring me some water right now. McKenzie. Water. Right now." I grab a cup of water as fast as I can with Charlie under my arm, run to the guest bathroom, and as soon as I go to pour it on the small flame, I hear something that sounds like an explosion. Thank goodness it wasn't the size of an explosion that you might see on TV, but nevertheless, an explosion of flames. My mom is running to find the extinguisher. I realized that little cup of water did nothing. I run and get my important belongings and throw them outside of the house. I was preparing for the worst. My mom, having never used an extinguisher before, finally figures out how to use it, and puts out the flames that were engulfing the bathroom.
The worst part was the phone ringing off the hook with the fire department and ADT to "check on everything." Pardon me, but it's frustrating when ADT calls and plays 20 questions while I'm in the midst of trying to combat a few flames.
You better believe I blew out every single candle after everything was said and done.
Oh man. That was not fun.
What a night.